Saturday, January 19, 2008

Cool Morning

Chilly out there! And for some odd reason, my mind is working overtime this morning. What fun!

And today’s the big day in Nevada and South Carolina. In my mind, two very disparate states. I really hope that neither one is a factor of any kind in this race. What will the news media make of today’s results? The pundits are sharpening their wits and honing their minds (where and if possible). But will any of it matter? Super Tuesday is the true test, everything else is just blather.

There are a little over two weeks left before that Tuesday vote and I still haven’t mailed in my ballot. I’m still undecided. And no, I am not waiting to see what happens in today’s contest. I think Obama knows too little, which could be a good thing. And I think Senator Clinton knows too much, which could be a good thing. Richardson and Kucinich should be among our choices, but the press has already decided who our candidates will be. And that's a bad thing.

The scariest candidate is still Huckabee. Federal funding for science has fallen to an all-time low during the past 7 years and with the Huckster in charge, we could be facing a new ‘Dark Ages’. When it comes to leaders, intelligence matters!

I’ve been reading American Theocracy by Kevin Phillips. It’s not an easy read, but taking the time to do it is certainly rewarding. Mr. Phillips has come full circle; from a senior adviser to Nixon to a distinguished critic of the Republican Party.

And one of the things that struck me in the book was his description of how the Republicans use fear as part of their overall election strategy. Running for president or for mayor, the goal is to motivate the voter to elect a Republican because of the fear of what would happen if the voter doesn’t. Rising crime rates! (Not true) Imminent war! (Not true) All of our social ills are magnified and used in a campaign of fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment