Monday, April 28, 2008

The Power of Positive Thinking

On a positve note; my own health has improved. Despite the Saturday workout at the closing of the book sale, or perhaps because of it, my hip seems to be improving. I was able to sit all of the way through dinner last night, a rarity, and I was able to drive without a lot of pain. All good signs. I’m not sure if I can credit the physical therapy for all of the improvement; OK, maybe 90%, as I’m pretty sure that the enforced inactivity had to help as well. Not being able to stand or sit without pain makes for a long and boring day! Once I feel that I am physically able, I will have to try to catch up on the chores around here, including the painting of the family room. At the same time I’m going to be wary of exceeding my current limitations. Slow and easy. I’ve too many years ahead of me and I want to enjoy them as much as possible.

So what does this ‘health event’ do to my plans for a marathon attempt in September, in Portland? Right now, I’m thinking that I will cancel. With just 3 months left for the hard training needed, I don’t see myself walking 18 – 20 miles on a Saturday in August. I was only up to 6 miles at speed when the pain put me out. But I do have alternate plans; healthy plans. Since I won’t need to drive into Chico every day for training, I can use my bike more often. And I can walk into Orland from here and get a good workout. Walking all of the way to downtown would give me about a 5 mile round trip. And I want to do some photo blogging; walking and cycling will give me the opportunity for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment