Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Oh No!

It has happened again. I’m waking up later. After all of these years? I’m not sure I like this. I’ve always enjoyed the fact that I was awake when people on the right coast were still asleep. Well, some of them were.

Yesterday, we had a reminder to back up our computers. Middle Daughter lost her hard drive and so far all of the experts are telling her that all of the data is gone forever. Disaster. Just imagine what you have on your own hard drive. Forget the programs; just the data alone! The photos. The spreadsheets and the documents. And how about ‘My Favorites’? There's a reason that they're called 'My Favorites'. Computers might have been just an expensive way to play solitaire at one time, but now they contain our treasure and our memories.

Well, she is getting a second opinion on the drive, so there is still some hope.

After hearing about the loss, we both spent some time copying and copying again. Moving copies of our data to our flash drives and portable hard drives. There’s nothing like hearing about someone else’s loss to get you motivated for a day or two.

Laurae has a new computer, so failure is a remote possibility…but still a possibility. Mine was new in November of 2003. Jeekers! Definitely a possibility there. I bought a Seagate 250 GB portable HD in 2004, so I do have my data in two places and although they are both ‘old’, the chances are slim that they would fail at the same time. And I have an 8 GB flash drive to use for daily backup of the odds and ends I want to save, such as my journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment