Thursday, January 22, 2009

Re-thinking Thinking

I've been reading Saving Fish From Drowning by Amy Tan. It's a great book and I always enjoy Amy Tan's work. She makes you read every word and that's an accomplishment; and although that makes her work a little more difficult to get into, you are soon enjoying the pace. But… as I was reading her description of the Karen tribes people of Myanmar, once known as Burma, I couldn't help but think that most of us make a mistake when we think of these tribal societies as being ignorant. Ignorant of what? I know that if I had to keep track of the hundreds of Nats (spirits, evil or kind, sometimes pesky) that affected everything in my daily life, I would soon go crazy. I'm not smart enough to be a Karen.

Links…

Nats

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment