Thursday, September 8, 2005

Finger Pointing

The finger pointing has begun and although it is sometimes disturbingly rancorous, it is certainly time to begin some investigations into what went wrong in New Orleans, not later, as “dubya” suggests. It is best to do it while the facts are fresh in everyone’s mind.

I don’t know about you, but I have a naïve view of government. For the most part, I lump them all together. City, county, state and federal. Government. They exist to do the things that I need done. I can’t tax my neighbors to help pave the road, so I depend on the county to do that for me. I can’t hire a policeman to keep me safe so I ask the city to do that for me. It is the same with my need for someone to help regulate commerce and to predict the weather. Government exists for us and not the other way around. So I’m particularly disturbed when one part of “government” blames another part for some glaring fault. Shouldn’t I expect all parts of government to work in concert? Shouldn’t the county and the state talk to each other? Can’t the federal government work hand in hand with a city? Don’t they all work for us?

Go ahead, call me naïve…but I think that my view is how the founders of our country saw it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment