Thursday, September 8, 2005

File Swap

From the Economist, September 8th…“Another victory for attempts to stem illegal file-swapping over the internet. A court in Australia ordered the owners of Kazaa Media Desktop, Sharman Networks, of Sydney, to amend the software so that it does not allow the downloading of copyrighted music or film.”
A short lived victory I’m sure. In fact, I think that I already have a method figured out to defeat that. It seems to me that if you were to modify the file extensions, the new watchdog built into Kazaa wouldn’t spot the files. For instance, batch change all of your .mp3 files to .mpz files. Once downloaded, the recipient can change them back to .mp3.
I don’t use Kazaa anymore and found it clumsy to use when I did. And no one ever had the music I liked. For the past few years I have been using newsgroups and a file retriever named Ozum to download the music I like. And since it’s almost exclusively  music from the 1930’s and 40’s, performed by dead artists, I’m not feeling too guilty. Whenever I do find a new artist that I like, I buy 1 CD. If I buy more than one, I will usually find that the second one has 2 or 3 songs from the first one.
The music industry just doesn’t get it…the days of being able to rip off the public by republishing song after song are over. Technology wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment