Friday, July 18, 2008

Prices

While we were up in Plumas County during the past few days, we went shopping at the local Holiday Market in Chester. I should mention that it’s the only market in town. So if you want to do your bit for the community and shop locally, this is it. Personally, I found the prices outrageous, even for a resort town. (I use the CPI to determine what is or isn’t outrageous and Cheetos in Chester are $4.90 a bag!) Because, if you happen to live in this town, you’re stuck! And let’s say you’re over 65 and living in this town; I don’t know how you could do that for very long unless you had planned very carefully for your retirement. Very carefully. The nearest town with minimally competitive pricing is Susanville and it’s 45 miles away. Let’s see, if you get 15 miles per gallon, which would be 6 gallons for a round trip at close to $5 per gallon. Let’s round it off to $30. You would have to save that much money by making the drive. It’s not going to happen.

To clarify; the CPI I use is the Cheetos Price Index and the more familiar CPI is this one, the Consumer Price Index. I think they are equally valid.

No comments:

Post a Comment