Sunday, May 30, 2004

Cynic!

As we all know, Truth is sometimes hard to find and the internet only makes it more difficult. A few days ago I received a forwarded e-mail message concerning the “evil” role of the Democratic Party in the affairs of the Social Security system. The message stated certain things as fact and since Democrats are usually suspect, it could be assumed that the message was telling us the truth. But, since I am cynical by nature, I decided to investigate a little bit further. It took quite a while (30 minutes+) but I think I ferreted out the truth by using Snopes.com as the arbiter of whether something is factual or not. Snopes has a good reputation for debunking the thousands of urban legends that make up so much of the e-mail volume these days and I have used their site before.

I just said that I was cynical by nature and that is probably an understatement. I am the Emperor of Cynicism and nothing escapes my attention. Tell me anything at all and I will dissect it, inspect it and probably, reject it! So how did I become a Christian? God’s grace is the only possible answer. Now I need to discover whether or not cynicism is a sin…It doesn’t feel like it is, but that is no guarantee.

I should also state that my version of cynicism crosses all political party lines. There are few boundaries for my doubting; truly the mark of a great cynic. And I have lots of company for my cynicism. I Google searched and found a treasure trove of great quotes for the veteran cynic to use. Amateur cynics are advised to use these with care. Here is a good one: Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell-

No comments:

Post a Comment