Sunday, June 20, 2004

Something completely different

As I was wandering through my files, I came across some excerpts from a great book by Harry James Cargas. I have decided to post one here as the book is no longer in print and hopefully I won’t be prosecuted for copyright infringement. The book is entitled Encountering Myself and I would recommend searching for it on Amazon, as I believe it can still be found at used book dealers.

Christ Died for Me?
How seriously do I believe that Christ died for me? For me? How has the consciousness of this revelation formed my life? Is the thought always before me as a guiding principle? Clearly it should be if I regard myself as a Christian. Of course, I claim to believe this, but if I really do, can it be said that the way I lead my daily life reflects this awareness? That Christ died for me gives me tremendous worth. I am, as it is, infinitely valuable; I have been redeemed by an infinite sacrifice. Do I see myself as someone of consequence? I should since, for me, God sent the only begotten Son. Well, if I am, in such a sense, the center of a universe, am I acting in a fit manner? We might be aware that petty behavior is not what is called for. Rather, action befitting one for whom Christ died. For example, should a person who so received the attentions from God the Creator be a gossip? Or a chronic complainer? Am I particularly quick and eager to blame others when the chance arises? Do I really believe in the dignity of my own life? Goethe wrote that good manners have their basis in heaven-Are my manners reflective of this? There is a tremendous responsibility put on me as one who has "benefited" from the crucifixion. How have I accepted this? By cheating in little business deals? By admiring athletes who break the rules and don't get caught? By encouraging others to hedge on certain regulations? Do I use language befitting one for whom Christ died? Am I anxious to make snap judgments about other persons, often to their disadvantage? Do I, in fact, reflect enough on what it means that Jesus made me the great gift of himself? That has got to be a humbling thought when realized. Yet it is possible that most who call themselves followers of Christ fail to fully deal with this concept. If we did, most of us would change our lives radically. What does it really mean in my life? Christ died for me?
Copied without permission from chapter 3 of "Encountering Myself" by Harry James Cargas

No comments:

Post a Comment