Friday, September 3, 2004

Good news

Once a year, the Economist magazine puts out a slim little volume of facts about our world. Lots and lots of data! There is no editorializing to go along with the facts, they speak for themselves. But, let me digress. The lack of editorial bias is one of the reasons that I enjoy the Economist so much, as they seem to be able to simply report the news and what its effect was. Simple is good. Liberal or Conservative, your viewpoint is noted in the stories but it is never the focus of the story. Often, I find myself being corrected by the facts as reported by the Economist.
If you want to see some reviews of this magazine, visit this site…
http://www.epinions.com/mags-Economist__The/display_~reviews

It has much more intellectual rigor than most other writing you see these days outside of academia. They will gladly show elasticity curves and other theoretical constructs that are important for gaining deep conceptual insights into current issues - The stories are also much more data-driven than almost any other publication. Frequently, they dig up just the right long-term data points to really tell you what is going on in ways that are much more credible than mere words.At the same time, you don't need a degree in economics or a Ph.D. in math to read the magazine. .

Now that review alone should make you rush out to buy a copy! Super smart? No, it doesn’t require that kind of intelligence to appreciate this magazine. Hey, I have no degrees! And, no, it isn’t all about business. The Science and Technology section alone is worth the subscription price!

You have to be asking yourself if I am in the business of selling magazines and how much do I make for each subscription I can garner…but no, I just like to read it and enjoy letting others know about it.

I started this blog by noting the arrival of the 2004 edition of the Pocket World in Figures. Now I need to share some of the facts with you. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment