Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Politics - as usual

It's politics once again, but with a twist...

I simply can’t get excited (positively) about the candidates. I detest the policies of the Bush administration, and Kerry doesn’t hold out the promise of anything different. I sometimes feel that this growing dislike of the candidates and politics “as usual” is a generational symptom. Growing up, I was fascinated by the election process that included national conventions of the two parties. I would listen to the radio with my mother and join in her excitement as the candidates made their pitch to the all powerful delegates. Votes would be cast and then cast again as the balance of power was swayed by the behind the scenes machinations of the party bosses.

Yes, we listened to the radio. We didn’t have a television till sometime in the early 1950’s and so the first conventions and election I remember was that of the Harry Truman versus Thomas Dewey contest in 1948.

What is different about today’s politics? I may be over reacting, but the level of animosity disturbs me. Mainly, because I find it too easy to fall into the trap of being just as angry, or angrier, as those who don’t agree with me.

Of course I am disturbed; it’s normal for my Type Index. I’m an INFP and here are some key points about that type.

INFP’s do not like conflict, and go to great lengths to avoid it. If they must face it, they will always approach it from the perspective of their feelings. In conflict situations, INFP’s place little importance on who is right and who is wrong. They focus on the way that the conflict makes them feel, and indeed don't really care whether or not they're right.

INFPs do not like to deal with hard facts and logic. Their focus on their feelings and the Human Condition makes it difficult for them to deal with impersonal judgment. They don't understand or believe in the validity of impersonal judgment, which makes them naturally rather ineffective at using it. Most INFP’s will avoid impersonal analysis, although some have developed this ability and are able to be quite logical. Under stress, it's not uncommon for INFP’s to mis-use hard logic in the heat of anger, throwing out fact after (often inaccurate) fact in an emotional outburst.

It’s not all negative…here are some positives about being an INFP.
Most INFP’s will exhibit the following strengths with regards to relationship issues:
· Warmly concerned and caring towards others
· Sensitive and perceptive about what others are feeling
· Loyal and committed - they want lifelong relationships
· Deep capacity for love and caring
· Driven to meet other's needs
· Strive for "win-win" situations
· Nurturing, supportive and encouraging
· Likely to recognize and appreciate other's need for space
· Able to express themselves well
· Flexible and diverse

1 comment:

  1. "Ever had a personality index test?"

    Yes. I am a MBTI Professional...Bill Jeffries trained me.

    ReplyDelete