Monday, December 20, 2004

All the news that's fit to print...

I’m enjoying the morning, sipping on my coffee and exploring the news, as usual. What a great way to begin the day! What did I do 30 years ago? I would have been 34 years old and the year would have been 1974. We lived in Newbury Park or Brea. I can’t remember when we moved to Brea, but it was close to that time. I was a superintendent at the time and would have been up very early, just as I am now. But I had no computer and I would have listened to the radio for the news of the world, early in the morning. Yes, I like this better.

Sometimes I think it is the fact that we have access to so much information that gives us the tension that seems to divide us as a nation. Go back 60 years and you would have seen a nation that depended on very few sources for their news. Television didn’t exist and radio was the news media that the family focused on. That radio sat in a place of prominence in the house, not in the dashboard of the family car. Having a daily newspaper delivered was a small luxury, as most people decided to buy a paper based on what the headlines read that day. (And so we believed what we were told…)

I grew up during those early times and I must say that I like the information loaded world of today far more than that of the 1940’s. Truth is far more important than some sort of perceived unity.

No comments:

Post a Comment