Saturday, January 29, 2005

A different look at politics

I was doing some of my usual browsing this afternoon, (the twins are taking a nap!) and I ran across this statement that said a lot of the things I wish I had said.

Chris Emerson's piece in the Union-Leader (Manchester New Hampshire…November 15, 2004)

The forgotten truth is that not all Christian evangelicals are conservatives or Bush supporters. Not all belong to churches with contemporary worship styles. Not all are uneducated dupes in flyover country, as many coastal liberals imagine.A significant minority of evangelicals supported Kerry. Many on both religious extremes are highly educated and sophisticated. Many are social liberals. Some evangelicals are radicals with a passion for the Gospel which impels them to make it real through aggressive community activism.Evangelicals are a diverse lot, spanning the spectrum, and some of us are called progressive evangelicals. We are evangelical because our spiritual and moral grounding is firm in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but our eager application of that glorious Word to modern life is more flexible and responsive than our conservative cousins. We are progressive because we believe in an interactive, open engagement with a changing world.


And in that same vein, my granddaughter suggested that I might be interested this book (below) and from what I have read in the reviews...it sounds interesting. To be truthful, the title drew me right in. Now I have to visit Amazon.com once more. Check it out yourself...

God's Politics : Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It by Jim Wallis


No comments:

Post a Comment