Saturday, January 1, 2005

A New Year, Take 1

I slept in till almost 5 this morning after staying up till about 10:45. Pretty late for us, but it was New Years Eve after all. And I have taken the time this morning to look out the front door before sitting down to type, so I can report that the new year has begun with clear skies. I’m not sure of where the storm went; it was supposed to hang around all day today. It was raining last night and there were stories of snowfall down to the 1,500’ level.

Since it is the first day of the new year, I suppose I could reveal some, not all, resolutions I might have made for this fresh year. One would be to post to my blog more often. Another would be to slow down…I was reminded the other day that it has been one year since I retired and I can’t remember one day of that year where I took the time to simply enjoy the day. I always had something to do.

Well, so much for memory! It was only yesterday that I took a day to simply enjoy. We decided to see a movie and the movie we chose was Lemony Snicket: A Series of Unfortunate Events. It had been 4 years? since we had last seen a motion picture in a theatre and so we weren’t sure that we would or could enjoy the experience. It turned out to be a very good experience. The volume of the sound in the theatre was too high, but that was expected. The screen loomed far too large, even for our mid theatre seating, but that was expected as well. And except for one ill mannered child and their clueless parent, the small crowd was well behaved. And to top it off, it was a good movie.

The movie was rated PG and it was so refreshing to sit through a complete movie without profane language and sexual innuendo in every scene. Jim Carey did a good job, though some of his lines were written for an adult audience. (No, not that “adult”, I mean adult as in older and wiser.) He only displayed some of his Jerry Lewis like humor in a scene or two. The computer graphics were well done and I thoroughly enjoyed the set and scenery work as well. All in all, a good movie. And according to the ending lines, “…Count Olaf disappeared.” there is an obvious attempt to make a sequel quite possible.

Now, where do I find another movie like that? Although we enjoyed this one, it will probably be at least 6 months before we can find another PG rated movie to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment