Tuesday, March 29, 2005

All the news that's fit to print...redux

OK, the coffee is good and I am getting my thoughts together. (Some would claim that I never have my thoughts together, but I dismiss them with a wave of my hand!) My thoughts have turned to Matt Weinstock and so I must google that name.


I did google it and came up with an interesting story about a former Daily News reporter, Lu Haas.


http://www.riprense.com/Dailynewspagehaas2.htm


Now, back to Matt Weinstock…as you might have noted in the article above, Matt Weinstock was a columnist for the Daily News and I read his column every day while I was growing up. Also, that website has an image of the Daily News masthead for June 4, 1949 and so I am sure that I once held that same paper in my hands while reading Matt's column…


And finally, this link… http://www.riprense.com/Dailynews.htm


What you don’t see or appreciate in these web pages is the importance of newspapers to everyone’s life in those days. There were no “talking heads” to dish out the news; you had to read every word. (In the 40’s and 50’s, most people could read) In the 1940’s, in Los Angeles, there were 3 daily newspapers; the Daily News, the Herald Examiner and the Times. If my memory is correct, the Daily News was usually a morning paper as was the Times. The Herald was an evening paper. And at one time I seem to remember that the Daily News had both morning and evening editions. Imagine that...newspapers twice a day!


Ah! Great memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment