Friday, March 4, 2005

Bah! It is raining this morning…cloudy and damp, no real storm at all. And I’m late with my post for the day.

A couple of things; one, the book I ordered, Myths America Lives By (Richard T. Hughes) arrived yesterday and awaits a time for me open it. Oh, I did look at a few pages and I’m eager to read it now. But it is book #3 in order of arrival and so it must wait a day or two. Two, I was musing as I brushed my teeth and I thought about all of the jobs I have had through the years. Not really a long list at all; mower of lawns, newspaper boy, dish washer at a Chinese restaurant, service station attendant (You can trust your car to the man who wears the Texaco Star!) delivery boy and clerk at liquor store, warehouse clerk (forklift driver), carpenter (sheetrocker and metal framer), estimator, foreman, superintendent, owner, IT tech, instructor…and then I thought about what I tell people when they ask what I used to do before I retired. I always tell them I was a carpenter.

It seems to me to be the only answer; the one that I’m proud of. It has been many years; almost 20 years since I actually had my tool belt on but it seems like yesterday.

And how would I like to be remembered in the future? As an artist…

Carpenter, artist…creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment