Saturday, April 9, 2005

Choices

Choices is the subject of an article I was just reading and it really hit all of my “buttons”. The author started off with his story of buying a pair of jeans and how all of the choices mystified him. Baggy, Easy Fit, Relaxed Style, Boot Cut, Extra Baggy, Stone Washed, Distressed, Button Fly or Zipper Fly? Of course he wanted “regular jeans”, a product that is no longer made. And what should have been a 5 minute affair turns out to last for an hour or more. (Especially distressing to men)

I don’t know about you, but I find choices to be a source of constant irritation. Have a cold? Your cold will be cured on its own by the time you decide which cold medicine is best. The most crowded aisle in the drugstore in January is the cold remedy aisle. Dozens of snifflers, staring vacantly, hoping that something will jump off of the shelf and end their indecision. Cell phone calling plans? That ought to make anyone crazy!

He then went on to describe some more serious ramifications from the glut of choices we have.

As a store increases the variety of jams or chocolates on its shelves, shoppers are more likely to leave without buying anything. OK, that isn’t too serious…but I have done that myself; and not just with jam or chocolate.

As the number of funds available for a 401(k) are increased, the likelihood that any fund will be chosen goes down. For every 10 funds added the participation rate drops 2%.

Patient satisfaction goes down when the choice of medical treatment goes up. The disconnect between theory - what people think they want - and reality is illustrated by a study of people who were asked if they wanted to choose their own cancer treatment if they were diagnosed with a cancer. 64% said they would want to choose their own treatment…in reality, only 12% of those who actually had cancer wanted to make that same choice.

The author goes on to say, “The more choices we have, the more we seem to regret the decisions we make…So we wonder, did we get what we want? Could the alternatives have been better?”

All of this leads me to understand why I think that In-n-Out Burger is the best…have you seen their menu? It’s perfect, and it can be read in all of 30 seconds. And why I prefer on-line shopping; I shop for only what I want and I use a pop-up blocker to make that as simple as possible.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:52 PM

    Choices? Did we get what we want? Did I make the wrong choice? Do I regret my decision? Seems like it becomes more of a settlement then a decision when I actually made a choice. You settle for what's within reach and attempt to live with the decision. Even if you know the decision you made was not quite what you were looking for. The positive aspect of "choice" though is that you actually have one! Actually you have many!! If your initial choice is not right you get to go back and choose again!!! It is just a matter of exercising your right to choose. Having the ability to decide for yourself what you want. Whether it is a cold remedy, a movie, a pair of jeans, or a cancer treatment I am thankful for at least having choices in my life. I would rather have a choice, then be told or directed on how I am to live my life. I get to Choose!

    ReplyDelete