Tuesday, May 3, 2005

It's Done...

OK, I have made the plunge and I have planted my garden. It was scary...it is scary. All of my efforts are now subject to the whims of nature. Drought, wind, hail and bugs! Not to mention the evil gopher. I have all of the basics planted; tomato (5 types), corn, squash (2 types), bell pepper (2 types), onion, Tomatillos (2 types), melons and some gourds. I still need cucumbers and ??? I know I need something else, but I can't think of it. Perhaps a stroll through one of the local nurseries will jog my memory; and I still have space left in the garden.

4 comments:

  1. Last year I planted some hybrid Tomatos. I ended up bushells of tomatos I was brining shopping bags of tomatos to church. I won some favor with all the little Greek ladies even got some Baklava out of it.

    I wish I could find the same plants or even remember what they were. I honestly have never seen so many tomatos and better tasted better tomatos.

    Good luck on the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:43 AM

    well.... you need some basil for the bruschetta, marigolds all around the tomatoes (helps the bug problem). Eggplant (black beauty, Ichiban),crookneck squash, bell peppers and one zuchinni...only one or people will run from you when they see you approaching with yet another bushel of zukes for them. Definitely take a stroll through a nursery....how about Little Red Hen in Chico. It's a beautiful place to stroll through and 100% of the proceeds go towards programs for adults and children with developmental disabilities. The staff is enthusiastic and even somewhat savvy about all the delicous choices for your garden!!! See ya there soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Anonymous! The bell peppers I already have, but the eggplant is a great idea. And I like the idea of marigolds. The herbs will be planted in my herb garden (of course) and that is a separate project for now. Yeah, I think one golden zucchini would be good. I know I need a cucumber as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, baklava...my wife is quite good at making it. It has been a standard for our Christmas table for some time now. She learned how to make it from our good Syrian Orthodox friends...They pronounce it "bok-la- way".

    ReplyDelete