Friday, May 27, 2005

My "To-do" List

I was listening to a discussion on the subject of Medicare yesterday and I can only say that it was most frustrating to listen to the convoluted reasoning that congress used to justify their plans. Have you heard about the “donut hole” in the Medicare drug benefits? (Google “donut hole medicare”)These senators, these congressmen, are supposed to be leaders, elected to do good for all of their constituents. Yet it has been 19 years since the last increase in the payroll tax for Medicare funding. After listening to this painful and embarrassing explanation of Medicare, I could only hope that I might die peacefully in my own bed. And I suppose I had better do it soon…

Of course that kind of thinking brought my faith to mind. If we are the Christian nation that we claim to be…something is wrong, terribly wrong. For starters, we don’t have enough churches for everyone to have a place to sit down on Sunday mornings. And what about the poor, the alien? We are called upon to help them. Jesus told us that we would always have the poor with us, but he didn’t say that we should ignore them. If we are a Christian nation, no one should be hungry and no one should be homeless. And what about giving? God calls for a tithe and so the coffers of the church should be filled to overflowing with funds for widows and orphans. They aren’t? Am I wrong? Did I miss something? I better get my Bible out again...

No comments:

Post a Comment