Saturday, May 7, 2005

What Fun!

When I was driving down to Roseville the other day, I spotted a crop duster and watched as he flew low over the rice fields alongside the highway. I have to think that this is the purest form of flight today. (Whatever that means) This isn’t fly-by-wire technology; the pilot has full control and his hands and feet must feel every little twitch of the aircraft. I can only imagine the thrill as the pilot presses on the rudder pedals and pulls back on the stick at the same time while the engine thunders, carving a path through the air. At the same time, the pilot is very much aware of the proximity of power lines and the ground. I have only flown (hands-on) a few times but I have vivid memories of each flight; and they were just ordinary flights! A crop duster? I can’t imagine being paid to have so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment