Monday, June 13, 2005

Speaking of Letters

Here's one that I had to laugh about.

"The June 3 commentary "Many teachers prefer classrooms over politics"...hit a nerve with me. Not only do I wholeheartedly agree...but I offer up another aspect of the topic. I'm about to finish up my 31st year as a middle school teacher. I'm also a conservative. For three decades I have watched my union dues used to support the very politicians whom I vote against. And there's nothing I can do about it. The system has us all by the throat."

Now here's my take on it...I'm 64 years old and for the past 43 years I have watched my taxes go to causes and laws that I didn't support. And there was something I could do about it. I voted.

I won't include the letter writers name, since on reflection I would hope that they would be embarrassed by what they wrote...especially so if they ever taught civics in their 30+ year career.

No comments:

Post a Comment