Friday, September 23, 2005

Mash-up

It’s been awhile since I’ve mentioned any new technology. And that used to be something that I was known for. (If it was new…then Steve must know something about it.) But that was back in the days when I was working and had subscriptions to all of the technical (computer) magazines I ever wanted. And I usually read 2 or more of those on every flight I took. That added up to a lot of technical reading, but our department, Strategic Development, was focused on all things “New and Exciting”.

Without that focus, I have become fragmented as to what I actually know about the latest products and ideas. And so it was very interesting to read the Technology Quarterly of The Economist. Lots of good stuff!

“Mash-ups” was the first thing that caught my interest. These are websites that use the resources of other websites to produce a new web “product”. www.HousingMaps.com uses housing for sale data from Craigslist.org and combines it with Google maps to show you a map with houses and apartments in a particular city and within a specified price range. And to make it even more interesting, most Mash-ups happen without the sites supplying the data even knowing that it is happening. There are more and more being created every day and right now, these are free websites, but that will change!

Here’s some other links…
http://traffic.poly9.com/

http://ejohn.org/ I had a problem with this one…couldn’t find the server?

www.busmonster.com



No comments:

Post a Comment