Friday, October 21, 2005

The Quantum Life

Good morning once again. It’s Friday, or I think it is? OK, the computer tells me that Friday was a good guess. After so many years of living by the clock and calendar it’s very odd to not know what day it is. But it’s certainly liberating! Of course I still need to overcome some old habits; I took my watch off about a year and half ago and I still catch myself looking at the blank spot on my left wrist whenever I am in a social situation and I want to leave.

And, if you have been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that I have a fascination with nanotechnology and the world of quantum physics. And I just read a great article on a practical application of that science. It’s a product with the unlikely name of Clap and it will be sold as an oil additive that improves fuel economy by around 10%. By grinding the mineral, serpentine, into particles as small as a millionth of a millimeter (1 nanometer) they release magnesium silicate which then bonds to the surfaces of the engine, creating instant repairs to the many rough surfaces and cracks that exist in a quantum world. This will make the engine more efficient and save fuel. The stuff goes on sale in December.  

Now if they could only make a carbon nanotube sheet to cover the roads. That would be real progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment