Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Apres News

So much for the news, it’s time for another cup of coffee…And now, with coffee cup close at hand, it’s time for the local stuff. Like pomegranates. The harvest is almost complete. With two trees, there was plenty to pick! I have a bucket of pomegranates to send down to Little Red Hen nursery and there are some for Karlee and Kyle as well. I have seeded (Is that the right word?) a bunch of them already and have close to 15 pounds of seeds in the refrigerator. By the time I strip the tree of the few remaining fruit, and remove the seeds…I should have close to 20 pounds of the bright red seeds, filled with juice and ready to be made into jelly.

Two pomegranate trees are enough for this family and them some. But I am looking at other ideas to improve my orchard. For instance, I really enjoy the Mandarin oranges and we’re having a great year for all of our citrus. The lemon tree is loaded with bright yellow fruit and the grapefruit tree is weighted down with ripening pink grapefruit. Oranges? I have hundreds! But I have no tangerines. Perhaps I should. And pecans have been plentiful. Should I plant another pecan? They are beautiful trees as well as being prolific. So many choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment