Tuesday, November 1, 2005

Dreaming of DOS

Here it is, Tuesday morning and I was restless last night, waking up every few hours. Finally, I decided to get up at 3:30 and so here I am. The first thing I did was to check my email and I noticed that the computer was acting a little odd, so I decided to restart it. As it was booting again, I saw a few images flash across the screen briefly and wondered why? Then it came to me that I don’t even know what my Autoexec.bat file looks like. What’s in it? And Config.sys, where is it? Four or five years ago, I knew exactly what was in these vital files and I knew how to tweak them for maximum performance. I had many variations of those files and I would swap them as needed. I would re-write them and add functions. I knew how to do that. Do those files even exist anymore? There are days…and early mornings, when I long for the simplicity of the black screen with the pure white characters on it, the DOS screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment