Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Tuesday Morning Musing

Tuesday has arrived on schedule. And I have slept in this morning; always a good thing! In fact, it was a terrible dream that finally got me out of bed or I might be sleeping still. In my dream I was seated at a conference table (with others) and an auditor told me, quite sternly, “bring in all of your work on Monday.” Such a thing never happened in real life and so I suspect that that I must be feeling some residual guilt? But why? Guilt? I used to get great annual performance reviews and never had to worry about such things. I can tell you that it was a relief to wake up and remember that I was retired and the “auditor” doesn’t exist. (Or does he?)

Perhaps it’s because, at times, Laurae and I have marveled at the fact that I can be paid each month and don’t actually have to go to work for that paycheck. Having worked regularly since 1956; I suppose that might instill a sense of responsibility. Want money? You must work for it. Now I don’t…weird!

Now that we’re talking about retirement, how about a discussion on General Motors, Delphi, Delta airlines and others that say that pension requirements are driving them to bankruptcy. What I find odd about these complaints is the fact that the pensions were always an important part of a contract. Contracts are agreements between two parties. There are no contracts where both parties don’t agree on the terms. If you don’t like a contract, don’t sign it. It really is that simple. Now, the taxpayer will bail out those companies that decided to ignore that part of their contracts with labor. And in the meantime, the corporate flacks and their Republican counterparts are spreading the word that “greedy unions” have caused their problems. It’s the contract, stupid!

No comments:

Post a Comment