Friday, December 30, 2005

Almost Over

Just two days left in this old year. It has been a most wild year, or so it seems. As often said, perception is reality, and to some it has been a year of peace and tranquility. I wish I lived where they did! No, I can’t really say that. If I think it has been a wild year it’s my environment that has caused that perception. With all of the various news feeds, newspapers and magazines that I read, I’m surrounded by news most of my waking hours. I have it all right at my fingertips. Good thing? Or bad thing? Since I can’t imagine life without “data”, I’m going to guess that it’s a good thing.

And now I’m using Google Alerts to manage some of that news. Google searches out news that fits your criteria and then sends you a link to it on a daily basis. I have Google Alerts for nanotechnology, oil, science, and Iraq. No wonder I think it’s been a wild year!

This morning I received a link to the Seattle Post Intelligencer and a story on the semiconductor industry and how they have officially declared nanotechnology to be on the “road map” for the future. “A handful of futuristic chip-making technologies at the atomic scale have been added to a planning effort that charts the future of the semiconductor manufacturing industry every two years.” Now they are talking about transistors being smaller than individual molecules and doing that in less than 10 years. Apparently the only thing that will keep computers from disappearing from view altogether is the fact that we have to interact with them and we need “normal” sized I/O hardware to do that.  

Another Google Alert for today…“Oil Prices Remain Above $60 a Barrel
SINGAPORE (AP) - Oil prices held above $60 on Friday after the US government released data showing a significant drop in domestic gasoline inventories…” Sorry about that. Better fill it up today.

No comments:

Post a Comment