Monday, January 30, 2006

Morning News

Headlines…. “Because they can't pass algebra, thousands of students are denied diplomas. Many try again and again - but still get Fs…”

That headline came from the LA Times and I read a similar one in the Sacramento Bee last week. And it strikes a very responsive chord in me. When I was in high school, I received a D- in Algebra. I still don’t understand Algebra, though I wish I did…but the school and my parents failed me. And I should have received an F. Cruel words. At some point in my education a teacher knew that I wasn’t “getting” it, but they chose to advance me to the next grade. Was that in the 3rd grade? Perhaps the 5th? And we still do it today and parents still like to believe that it will all be OK in the end. I’m guilty of that as well…

So now that this child, a high school student but still a child…is about to graduate; why do we decide to punish him instead of helping him? (Or her) Isn’t it our fault that he or she won’t graduate? And what are we going to do about the thousands that will leave high school this June without a diploma or a chance?

No comments:

Post a Comment