Saturday, February 11, 2006

Their Own

Version of a Big Bang
A scary guy!

"Boys and girls," Ham said. If a teacher so much as mentions evolution, or the Big Bang, or an era when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, "you put your hand up and you say, 'Excuse me, were you there?' Can you remember that?"

The children roared their assent.

"Sometimes people will answer, 'No, but you weren't there either,' " Ham told them. "Then you say, 'No, I wasn't, but I know someone who was, and I have his book about the history of the world.' " He waved his Bible in the air."Who's the only one who's always been there?" Ham asked."God!" the boys and girls shouted."Who's the only one who knows everything?""God!""So who should you always trust, God or the scientists?"The children answered with a thundering: "God!"

So what's scary? Will the children believe Mr. Ham's version of what God says...or will they think and pray for themselves? Will they really trust God...or Mr. Ham? Anyone who claims to know God's mind is scary...

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm.....difficult to comment on this. Mr. Hamm maybe 100% correct. Science is all over the place on this issue. I used to be pretty pro evolution but the more I got into science the more I lost faith in science and gained faith in Christianity. If we are partakers of the divine nature we will know to some extent God's nature and thus perhaps His "mind". As important as knowing what God wants is doing what God wants. I admire Mr. Ham for putting himself out there in the community of ideas. Atleast he cares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As important as knowing what God wants is doing what God wants."

    And you know that this is what God wants? You used the word "perhaps" and that implies that you don't know a thing about what God wants...and that would be correct. Faith is all about "faith".

    And what I detest about Mr. Ham is his selling of his ideas to young children...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I said perhaps his mind because I don't know exactly how to describe the uncreated energy that is God. We are tasked with getting into God, a communion with him. That is the whole reason for the incarnation.

    I am not sure what you mean by faith is all about "faith". Faith being by grace as gifted to us by God the Holy Spirit I don't believe that I can not know God but only have some blind belief in Him. Just the opposite, by being partakers of the divine nature we gain in the likeness of God. Our fallen nature being an obstacle I certainly wouldn't boast of any knowledge being as a result of what I have done but what God has done for me.

    I do know what God wants, it is revealed in Holy Tradition. I battle against my flesh everyday to do just apart of what God wants. Lord have mercy on me. I am guilty, guilty, guilty of sin in full knowledge of the law.

    ReplyDelete