Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Legal?

With all of the talk about immigrants, legal and illegal…I wondered; how did you become an American? Did you have to pass a test? Did it cost you a lot of money? How difficult was it for you to become an American?

I’m afraid I can’t tell you of a heroic tale about my becoming an American. I was only born here. Didn’t cost me a dime. There was no test to pass. It just happened.

Now my grandparents, great grandparents, and even further back than that…they were the real heroes and heroines! They came to this country. They left everything they knew and gambled on an unclear future. I have no idea if they came here legally or illegally. It really doesn’t matter. They came and that is what matters. They were brave enough and I get to reap the benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment