Sunday, March 12, 2006

Resting?

Sunday. The Sabbath Day. You don’t hear that very much anymore. And I grew up during the time of transition; when Sundays became less a day of worship, rest, and relaxation, and more a day of shopping. When I was nine or ten, you could walk downtown on a Sunday and every store was closed. Every store. And, “the thing to do” was to take a Sunday drive. Which we often did. It all sounds very quaint and old-fashioned now…Hmm? How old am I?

No rain this morning; yet. (Thunderstorms are forecast) But the temperature has risen. And that same forecast calls for more rain next week along with those warmer temperatures.

We went to our watercolor class yesterday morning and watched a “How-to” video presentation by Charles Reid. Enthused, we went to Aaron Brothers and bought a few more art supplies. Not that we were all that enthused about Mr. Reid’s work; we weren’t, but the video did generate some excitement about art in general. And during the ride into Chico, this generated a conversation about the lack of support for the arts in our schools. Sad. Especially since Laurae has seen students who were academic failures but possessed a gift for the visual arts. With no support, they are eventually going to exit the school system without ever being credited for their talents. Simply failures.

2 comments:

  1. One reason I wanted to move to Maine was because I remember how school here fostered my love and appreciation of the arts. I live near Bowdoin college which houses some wonderful museums of art. I just love Winslow Homer. I used to how prints of his work in my home in California. Art is mandatory in school, same with poetry (something else I love). Conservatives balk at supproting the arts, how short a memory they have. The arts have long been a vehicle for sharing the faith in images. I took art appreciation in High School in California and was shocked at the lack of interest by my friends. Renee has become quite the artist. The teachers marvel at some of her work. Even the chief of California's schools found her art work advanced for her age (on a flight to scaramento).

    It is short sighted not to promote the arts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. And save that artwork, display Renee's work, hang it on the walls...praise it!

    Art, which includes poetry and music, are part of all that makes us human. And made in God's image.

    ReplyDelete