Saturday, April 8, 2006

Saturday's thoughts

Saturday morning and all is well; as far as I can see and that’s not far, not in the dark anyway. The storm that rolled through here last night has rolled away now and according to the radar maps, there is only a trace of rain falling in the Chico area this morning. So my plans to get in a long walk later this morning are still viable. Showers are still possible…60% chance.

I’m not sure of how much rain we received last night, but it seemed substantial. Plus lightning and thunder. I had filled the pool earlier yesterday and this certainly added to it.

And now that the pool is full, I can try out the new pool sweep. Hopefully, the leak is fixed for this season and I have already asked for a new liner next year at this time. Scary thought; the price of a liner is tied to the price of oil. There’s no escaping the impact of oil pricing on every part of our lives.

Let’s see what is news worthy…Hmmm? Not much on a Saturday morning. I did hear (yesterday) that a one meter (3 feet) rise in sea level is expected during the next 100 years. Sure, it’s just a guess…but if true, 60% of Bangladesh disappears. And everything south of Miami. What’s the guess for 10 years?

I guess people don’t realize how much change is taking place on a daily basis. I know I don’t…not until I do a little memory searching for just how things used to be when I was a child. Ecologically, it’s not the same world as it was in 1945; not even close!

2 comments:

  1. I guess what seperates me from some conservatives is that I believe in good stewardship of out planet. Perhaps the Religious Right needs to work on converting Rush Limbaugh to Christianity. Ohh I forgot, the religious right is just that, religious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right...stewardship is an imperative and definitely Biblical. And Religion? I like to think these days that I am a person of faith, not a "religious" person. Faith better describes what I was given...And "religion" sounds far too much like an institution anymore. And acts like one...

    ReplyDelete