Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Current Crop

That's persimmon fruit...just barely visible.

Plenty of grapes once more.

Pomegranates and more pomegranates!

Let's see what is in the orchard...Lots of plums and a medium sized crop of prunes. Pears are doing well once again. Apricots are taking a vacation this year; I could only find 3 or 4 on the two trees. Peaches and nectarines have been hit by the "curly leaf" and are not doing well. I do expect to pick a dozen or more of the Red Haven peaches, despite the illness. Cherries are going to be devoured by the birds before I can get to them. It happens every year, despite my attempts to stop them. I should just consider the cherries a gift to the birds. Walnuts? Far too many! But the moths haven't attacked yet, so that may change. Pecans are also going to be plentiful once again. Pomegranates will need to be supported. The branches will never hold them all. And the persimmon tree has gone nuts! I had a dozen persimmon last year, but this year they can't be counted, there are so many...And apples; both trees need thinning as they have far too much fruit on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment