Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Habits

Wednesday has begun for me in the usual manner; a cup of coffee and the news. How many years has it been? 40 years? Maybe 50 or more? That’s really an old habit!

In 1952, I was 12 years old and the news was all about the Korean War. It’s 54 years later and the news is still concerned with war. World War III. Even Korea is mentioned almost daily. What have we learned during the last half century? That’s just a rhetorical question…don’t think about it for very long. It will only give you a headache.

It doesn’t seem to be as windy this morning; a good thing! Yesterdays wind seems to have cooled things off a little and the forecast is more spring-like.

And it was the wind that caused a little excitement yesterday morning when a small bird, apparently escaping the wind, flew into the garage. Since the garage is also the cats’ playground, it was definitely the wrong place to be! I was getting ready to leave and noticed that her water dish had been spilled? Then I noted some small feathers floating about. I spotted the bird, still quite alive but sitting on the floor and the cat was approaching once again. So I grabbed the cat and put her in the house; much to her dismay. Since the bird seemed shocked by all that had happened, it wasn’t too difficult to capture it and get it back outside.

The cat wasn’t terribly upset at losing a plaything and quickly forgave me. And birds are safe outside as she has a bell to warn them of her approach. I would be very happy if I could get her to turn her attention to gophers, my current nemesis. She seems to have persuaded the ground squirrels to abandon their usual route through our rose garden. I haven’t seen a squirrel in months now.

No comments:

Post a Comment