Sunday, May 14, 2006

That Special Day

Mothers Day is here and Laurae will be going off to a brunch with her daughters and grown up granddaughter, Shannon. I will be left behind…but no matter. I’m an adult (and then some!) and I can handle it.

I will be doing some babysitting this week as the twins will be here overnight on Tuesday. And they are bringing their gardening gear with them. They want to plant some things in grandpa’s garden and I’m happy to oblige.

Babysitting twins is a scary proposition. In a family where there is an age difference between children, one of the children will almost always “rat out” the child that is planning some mischief. That gains them favor with the parents, or so they think. Parents even learn to depend on that. Not so with twins…they plan it all together and then execute that plan! Three year old partners in crime.

Is there anything new to report this morning? My first glance at the news resulted in some laughter from me as the subject of the article was the California exit exam and the story I was reading had 3 words misspelled in the first paragraph. Probably written by someone from another state.

OK, now seriously…I heard the State Sup’t of Public instruction trying to defend the exit exam and he couldn’t think of a better way than this exam to measure the quality of instruction. This made me think about it again. It really is the system that is being tested and if 10 percent of the students fail, it’s the system that is failing. And why, oh why, are students passed from one grade to the next without a true evaluation of their knowledge? Why, oh why, do we wait till they are in their final year of school before we decide to evaluate their progress? And then punish them for acts of omission by their parents and educators? It’s unbelievable that this man can seriously defend the system. But of course he is an administrator…that’s what they do.




No comments:

Post a Comment