Friday, June 23, 2006

Hot and Hotter

Friday is here once more and it’s definitely warm! The terrible winds we experienced earlier this week were the results of this heat moving into the valley and now we’re going to see temperatures of 112° or more this weekend. That sounds like a good excuse for us to leave the state and enjoy the weekend in a more civilized fashion on Vashon Island, slightly south of Seattle (Sunny – no higher than 85°). And we will.

We’re not leaving without worry though…PG&E has notified us that they will be turning off the power for eight (8) hours on Sunday while they do some maintenance. No, we won’t be here to enjoy a hot day without AC, but the contents of the freezer and the refrigerator can’t make the trip to Seattle with us. And the timers for the sprinklers? And the pool filters? And it’s really Murphy’s Law that has us worried. Will the 8 planned hours turn into 16 unplanned ones? Oops! Sorry about that, folks…

We won’t have to worry about Boo, the cat. She is heading back to the local vet this afternoon to spend another weekend in air conditioned comfort; not that she will be happy about it. Will she forgive me? I think so; after last weekend at the vet she actually became a little more “clingy”, wanting to spend more time with me. And she has been avoiding any close contact with the pet carrier this week, although it used to be one of her favorite places to sleep.

The garden will be a worry of course. Will the routine sprinkler schedule ward off the effects of 4 or 5 days of temperatures over 105°? I’m going to change the timing on them for the duration of the trip and hopefully a little tweaking on my part will save the day when the power is off on Sunday.

I guess I should take the time to post some more photos to my garden blog. I will take the camera out as soon as I see enough light to shoot. And I need to prune more of the grapes from the vines this morning. This heat is boosting the growth of just about everything in the garden. Of course I have far too many zucchini, but I expected that to happen. And the tomatoes are doing just fine! Still green but growing…like weeds, which are also growing. In fact, I have thought about building a small covered stand to place in the front yard with a sign that say’s “Free Fresh Vegetables”.






No comments:

Post a Comment