Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Pax (Peace)

Tuesday has arrived in the usual manner and all looks to be normal at this early hour. It might be a little bit colder than normal, as an unusual weather system came through here yesterday, giving us chill winds and cloudy skies for most of the day.

The brief change in the weather hasn’t slowed the growth of the garden at all. Everything is growing well and it won’t be long before the first tomatoes will be seen. For me, that’s summertime – a tomato in my hand, warm, ripe and delicious! I eat them right there in the garden. On the negative side, summer also includes the tomato hornworm. Ugly!

It’s time to let the cat in. Boo has been acting quite strangely for the past few days. She wants to stay close by me and she didn’t spend any time at all in the garden yesterday. What’s that all about? I wonder what she will think after she comes back from being boarded at the local vets’ office over this coming weekend? That ought to be interesting! She is sitting in the window now, listening attentively to the early birds.

I was just thinking that since the high temperature today will only be 75°, it might be wise for me to get the rest of the soil mix for the herb garden. Shoveling dirt out of the back of the truck in this kind of weather will be much easier than doing it next week when the temps are back into the 90’s. I don’t need much; just one truckload will finish it.

That new garden space is big enough for more than just the usual herbs, and with the partial shade of the walnut tree, not all herbs are going to thrive there anyway. So we will need to find some colorful plants for that garden as well.

I was checking the news and haven’t seen much to comment on…though I did run across Salam Pax’s new blog. I used to read his old one almost every day and then got out of the habit. Too distressing to read on a daily basis. Odd; reading his new blog (after liberation) is more depressing than when I first found it. (before liberation)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:31 AM

    or colorful herbs...lavendar, hyssop, agastache,tricolor sage, lemon thyme, monarda, maybe one upright rosemary in the back??? Not a sprawler...nasturtium in the cool weather...

    ReplyDelete