Wednesday, June 7, 2006

Wednesday Morn

Wednesday; it’s irrigation day once again and I will soon be out wading through the orchard, pitchfork in hand as I stalk the wily gopher. Where have my gopher snakes been? I know where one persistent gopher lives and I would be glad to give the snakes that info.

I checked the news first thing this morning and there is no bulletin to tell me which of the “bad boys” won the Democratic Primary contest for governor. Apparently it is too close to call. Sad, but not surprising; the library initiative (Proposition 81) failed to win approval. What’s up with that? As soon as people feel financially threatened, they think a library is a luxury. Just like music, art and science programs in schools. Luxuries, all! Readin’, ‘riting and ‘rithmetic…that’s all we need and I’m not sure about that ‘riting. Perhaps we can get rid of that as well. It only leads to trouble. Readin’ we need so we can follow instructions (We already got plenty of those Dick and Jane books. Don’t need no more!) and ‘rithmetic is handy for keeping tabs on the number of our fingers and toes.

This was the heart of Proposition 81, “This act provides for a bond issue in an amount not to exceed a total of six hundred million dollars ($600,000,000) to provide funds for the construction and renovation of public library facilities in order to expand access to reading and literacy programs in California’s public education system and to expand access to public library services for all residents of California.” And as of 4:00 this morning, the results are…1,718,896 / 46.8% Yes votes ...... 1,951,890 / 53.2% No votes. I would have been happier with a much closer vote. But I’m happy to say that no school sports programs were threatened. Sports, that’s where we teach kids that some people are talented and most others are simply losers, good life lessons! Well, that’s kind of harsh…some are not really losers, they get to be cheerleaders!

No comments:

Post a Comment