Friday, June 30, 2006

Winner

Friday is upon us and for some it is the beginning of a 4 day holiday weekend, ending on the 4th of July…with a bang! I imagine that the roads will crowded, along with the lakes and the rivers and so I will try to stay close to home for the majority of the holiday. I certainly have plenty to do around here.

I love this time of the morning! The darkness is slowly giving way to the light of dawn and I can hear the chatter of birds (and horses) nearby. Trees are silhouetted against the eastern sky and if I look close, I can see the quick movement of bats as they gather up a few more mosquitoes before retiring to the barn for the day.

I have invited Boo, the cat, in from the garage and after some lengthy stretching exercises; she is now sitting on the window sill and dreaming of birds and lizards. When outside; her bell keeps birds alerted to her presence, but lizards often fail to notice her stealthy approach until it is too late. If only she would hunt for gophers! Certainly a prey more worthy of her talents.

If I’m smart…no guarantee there, I will spend the early (and cool) part of the morning unloading the truck. I have about half a yard of custom soil mix in it and it needs to be in the garden. At the same time, I need to take some plain old dirt out of the garden and place it along the fence line to restore the “dike” that keeps the water in my orchard when I’m irrigating.

With the truck empty, I can move it out of the way and that will enable me to mow the front yard. It seems like I spend most of my time mowing during the summer. Not that I mind all that much; using the Dixon mower is a real treat for me. The Indy 500 with a field of one! I’m a winner every time…

No comments:

Post a Comment