Friday, August 25, 2006

Film at 11

Isn’t that nice? The morning temperature is down to the high 50’s and we haven’t seen that for awhile.

And what’s new this morning? I guess it would be the fact that we have canceled our subscription to the satellite television service. It finally dawned on me that we were spending a lot of money just to put me to sleep in my chair every night. The process of canceling was interesting because, as expected, the representative tried all sorts of bribes to get me to stay on as a customer. How about $10 off your bill for a year? How about Showtime and HBO free for 3 months? But I was steadfast and told them that when they decided to allow me to subscribe to individual shows and not packages…I might return to the fold.

Please remember that this is not the first time we have left the world of television. We’re certainly not “holier than thou” on this issue. When we first moved to Orland we went without TV for 3 or 4 months before we succumbed to the allure of the “tube”. And we’re not throwing away…or giving away our television set. We’re maintaining our Netflix subscription for DVD’s and I will see if I can connect the existing antenna to the set. That way I can still see the PBS shows that I like; though I doubt that the Lawrence Welk Show (Saturdays) will hold much attraction for me.

1 comment:

  1. But how am I going to watch the Thanksgiving and Christmas Day Parades?!?

    ReplyDelete