Thursday, August 24, 2006

First Light

Thursday; a good day for a fast walk. I feel the need to see if I can’t get close to a 12 minute/mile pace for 10 miles. With an early start I will be walking with a temp in the 60’s in the beginning and it might get into the 70’s before I finish. There’s just 5 weeks left before the Portland marathon and although I’m sure I can finish, I’m still hoping to do better than my last time up there. I think it was a 5:57?

On a different subject altogether; I was driving into Chico the other morning, early, when I glanced over at the new bridge under construction on Highway 32. They were getting ready to pour concrete on the deck and I was suddenly reminded of the many times that I was on a similar deck, though much higher in the air, and working fast to stay ahead of the “mud”.  

No, I never worked on a bridge, but I knew exactly what each person in that crew was doing. On a highway bridge or on a deck 30 stories in the air, the process is the same. I guess I will always be sentimental about that part of my career in construction. When I was working with my tools on, I was excited about each day at work. There was a very real danger in what we did and just sensing that made every day special. (I guess you had to be there…)

Enough of that…I have a blog that will cover all of those memories so I don’t need to write about them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment