Monday, August 21, 2006

Love Those Cheetos

I’m back from visiting the phlebotomist and now I have a cup of coffee in hand and I’m feeling a little closer to normal; whatever that is. Plus, I finished off a sack of Cheetos! The breakfast of champions. I didn’t even read the nutritional info on the package; I just figured it was too late to make a difference.

Lucky for me, I had some good advice and I showed up early for my 7 AM appointment and within 5 minutes of my arrival, there were a dozen or more waiting in line for the office to open. I received the coveted “first place” and was in and out in just a few minutes. (She was good! Didn’t even hurt.)

One more cup and then it’s time to look at the news again.

Last night was the annual Ice Cream Social event to raise money for the Orland public library and I couldn’t help but notice that the crowd was almost all old, Anglo-Saxon, And Protestant. (More or less) Orland has a very diverse population but there is no mingling of cultures here. The people of different ethnic groups live and work side by side, but they never play together. Most Anglos think that by eating Chinese take-out or going to El Vaquero for lunch, they have bridged the culture gap. Sad.


1 comment:

  1. That is what I liked about the Orthodox church. I was worshipping with Ethiopians, Russians, Indians, Greeks, Arabs, Anglo's, etc. The proccesional cross was a gift to our parish from a parish in Ethiopia where a parishoner had visited.

    The bad thing was I then had to try all the different ethnic foods.

    ReplyDelete