Thursday, August 3, 2006

Where is it?

Thursday is here and I hope it brings us some clear skies. During the past few days, we have been bothered by smoke from a couple of north state fires. This has contributed to coughs and sore throats for all of us. What a dirty trick; we finally get relief from the heat and that’s when the smoke rolls in.

As usual…I read the on-line news before I was actually awake; a dangerous thing to do. A mind without caffeine can easily run amok. And this was what I read… Most Americans consider Israel's bombing campaign in Lebanon justified, but they are divided about what role the United States should play in the crisis and how closely the nation should align itself with the Jewish state…”

Of course I had to add my own thoughts to that statement. “Most Americans can’t find Israel on the map.” And, “Most Americans have never read the history of this region.” And last, “Most Americans have never been bombed.” Justified? Shouldn’t we be asking those who are being bombed how they feel about it? I suppose someone needs to tell me why the killing of civilians is OK. Apparently I’m clueless. As are “most Americans”.

And as I was browsing through the Sojourners website this morning, I found this quote from Abraham Lincoln, "I have always found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice."

Since the Republican Party is known as the Party of Lincoln, I have to wonder if the Republican faithful have ever read what President Lincoln said. I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment