Thursday, September 28, 2006

As Usual

As part of my early morning ritual, I always check the weather report and locally it was as expected; low 90’s today and finally dipping into the low 80’s by next week. Fall is on its way. Then I looked at the Portland weather report to verify that the earlier forecast for Sunday was still valid. Not! The forecast 70° and partly cloudy has disappeared and the revised forecast now tells me that I can expect to see a high of 63° and I should also expect a few showers. I’ve never walked a wet marathon, but it looks like I may have a chance to do just that.

After the weather report, I check the headlines to see what’s new internationally, nationally and then statewide. I really wish there was a local news on-line with a RSS feed that I could subscribe to, but it’s not happening here, not yet anyway.

As I was browsing, I found this odd news, from Reuters… “The length of a girl's ring finger could be an indicator of her future sporting potential, researchers at King's College London said on Thursday. The findings, published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, found that women with ring fingers longer than their index fingers had performed better at running and associated running sports such as soccer and tennis.

In women the ring finger is commonly shorter or the same length as the index finger, while in men the ring finger is generally longer.”

I will continue while you check the length of your fingers...

And then I read this news about aging… “those born between 1946 and 1964 — began turning 60 this year and are rapidly approaching retirement age. By 2030, the number of people over age 65 in the United States will exceed 71 million — double the number in the year 2000…” and the report adds that most communities are falling behind in planning for this event.

And speaking of falling behind; donations for my participation in the Crop Walk are lagging. I guess I will have to begin nagging. Here’s the link to use if you want to avoid my e-mails.

No comments:

Post a Comment