Friday, September 22, 2006

More Odds and Ends

I finished the book on Lincoln, Team of Rivals. It was great book and I can certainly appreciate Lincoln far more than I have in the past. A brilliant man! But…something to always remember; he was still just a man and subject to all of the temptations, failures and pitfalls that accompany those that seek power. And it’s quite plain that he wanted the power; he was simply smarter than his rivals. And then to place those same rivals in his cabinet was sheer genius.

And now it’s time for another book; but which one? I want one that holds my attention…if that’s possible. Luckily, the semi annual Orland book sale starts next week and I get first choice on books if I show up to help set things up for the sale.

I was reading my latest issue of Walls & Ceilings magazine and found an article that seemed to indicate the fact that steel framed houses are becoming more popular; at last! When I first became a carpenter in the 60’s, there was talk of this happening and during the past 40+ years a small number of steel framed homes were built. At one time, in the 1970’s, I taught a Journeyman Re-Training class on steel framing for wood carpenters to improve their skills for the eventual transformation of the industry. But, it never seemed to catch on, despite the obvious benefits of steel.

No comments:

Post a Comment