Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Time and Again

Interesting! Time Magazine has seen the light! They are about to make amends and become righteous once again. From what I have read, the magazine has decided to become serious and do battle with the Economist. They intend to lose market share and they will move their publishing date to the Friday, the same day as the Economist.

I was once a fan and a subscriber to Time. My mother had always subscribed and I followed suit after marriage. And then, sometime in the 80’s, Time decided to cater to a different audience and it was soon such a light piece of fluff that it made its way from my hands to the circular file in just a minute or two. I stopped subscribing and looked at U.S. News and World Report and Newsweek, but neither one was satisfactory. Far too light! Then…my mother rescued me when she began subscribing to the Economist. She would give me her old copies when she was through with them and after she died, I kept the subscription going.

When I sit down to read the Economist, I know that I have enough timely and well written material for at least 3 days, maybe more. I read stories again and again. I never call an issue “well read” until at least 3 weeks have passed.

I would like to see Time do well; maybe even subscribe once again. But they are going to have a battle on their hands if they want to dethrone the Economist. I heard that they have had a 300% subscription increase in the past few years and what’s most important; it’s the people that subscribe…not the numbers. Heads of state, ambassadors, etc are seen as writing letters to the editor of the Economist. Time is still a little bit light and not taken all that seriously…yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment