Friday, October 27, 2006

Immunity

My, how time flies! Daylight Savings Time is scheduled to end this weekend. What will we do with all of that extra sunshine in the morning? And how will I get used to waking up later? I don’t think that will happen easily. I can see that afternoon naps are in my future and there’s nothing wrong with that!

I have finished voting and my ballot is in the mail. (Does that mean that the computer generated political advertising phone calls will end? I doubt it.) And I can report that my ballot will show that I voted for candidates from the whole spectrum of political ideologies. I also voted to tax the smokers and tobacco chewers to near bankruptcy. I voted for school bonds and against levee repairs. Why? Because the children are our common responsibility. And our common resource. The levees are the responsibility of the levee districts…let the members of those districts pay for their maintenance; something they have neglected to do for many years. Why should I pay for their failure to maintain their own assets? And does anyone really know what California would look like if we didn’t have this network of artificial channels?

I also voted against Proposition 83, the so-called Jessica’s Law that provides for millions of dollars worth of monitoring of child abuse offenders. Here’s a law that politicians love! They get a chance to appear as if they are against all things Evil and all in favor of Good, when in fact the new law will do nothing to change things. Except to lighten your wallet. Some facts are in order; since less than 7% of child abusers are strangers… that must mean that more than 93% of child abusers are people we know; friends and family. Duh! But what good are facts when emotions are running high? Common sense goes out the window. (By the way, the same figures hold true for murderers as well… so keep an eye on Aunt Millie!)

I didn’t vote for the judges or anyone else that was running uncontested. Why bother? And I got a chance to vote for a write-in candidate; that doesn’t happen very often. I’m afraid his chances are slim, though I could be surprised; he has a lot of friends here. The tough part is educating people as to how to vote for a write-in candidate. That seemingly simple procedure intimidates a lot of people.

Also, I spent yesterday afternoon at the Kountry Kitchen restaurant; the site for the quarterly blood drive. I hadn’t donated in a long time and I thought it was time to do it again. Plus, being in Orland, I knew it would be the social event of the month. I wasn’t wrong. Everyone who was “someone” was there to give blood or to help with the process. Plus you get to eat home made cookies afterwards… without guilt!

Unfortunately for me, I got a double stick of the needle for my troubles. I had hoped to use my left arm for the donation but after a few painful tries, they conceded defeat and had to move over to the right arm. Something to remember next time. If there is a next time… for in the back of my mind, I’m wondering if I haven’t been exposed to West Nile virus, and this donation will tell me if that has happened. I would rather not have had it, as that means you can’t give blood in the future. But, at the same time; if you had West Nile and didn’t know it… you won’t ever have to worry about getting it; you’re immune!

Last, but not least, I should mention here that my granddaughter has returned to blogging. Check it out…

No comments:

Post a Comment