Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Silent Night

Poor Columbus. He gets no respect; not that he really deserves any. I went to the post office yesterday and was quite surprised to see that there no cars parked in front and I was the only one in the building. I said to myself, “Is today a holiday that I don’t know about?” After receiving no answer, I assumed that it was simply a freakish event, but entirely natural. I took my mail and returned home. Of course that was Saturday’s mail and not Monday’s…but there’s no way to tell that by looking at it. It wasn’t till later that evening that I was told that it had been Columbus Day; all day. Huh?

There might have been some “Columbus” clues in the on-line news, but I certainly didn’t notice them and since Columbus Day sale ads are absent from an electronic newspaper, I was simply out of the loop.

And today’s news? “BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraqi police said on Tuesday they found 60 bodies across Baghdad in the last 24 hours, all with gunshot wounds with some showing signs of torture.”

Tuesday; that’s today and while I was sleeping, someone was busy, torturing and then killing. The same news, day after day. With or without Saddam. Peace? Freedom? Democracy?

No comments:

Post a Comment