Monday, November 20, 2006

The Season

The holiday approaches. Thanksgiving; and at first glance, it appears to be one of the less commercial of the major holidays. We don’t send Thanksgiving cards and we don’t have to listen to Thanksgiving carols (The Little Drumstick Boy?) but, I imagine the cash take from this holiday is far larger than I thought. Turkey sales have to rival that of Christmas trees, especially now that pricey free-range gourmet birds are considered essential for the family table.

Ever since President Lincoln arbitrarily decided that the last Thursday of November would be the date to celebrate Thanksgiving, there has been a subtle blending of the Christmas season with the turkey season. And now Christmas sales have started before the first turkey hits the shelves at the market. I think I saw some Christmas ads back in September.

I can’t complain much about rushing the season, as I roasted a turkey last week. It was a nice 15 pound bird that had been sitting in the freezer most of the summer. I didn’t want to let it sit much longer and I wanted a fresher one for the holiday meal so it made sense to cook it and then to make some interesting turkey meals with it. Turkey Chowder. Turkey Enchiladas. Turkey Mac. Turkey Pizza. Sure, why not?

We’ve enjoyed a couple of turkey meals already, we have plenty more in the refrigerator and now, when our Thanksgiving meal is complete, we can load up our guests with the leftovers. Everyone is happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment