Monday, December 18, 2006

Help...Not!

This is one of those mornings when you wish your computer could be located close to the fire, instead of down a long hallway and around the corner. Wireless would work, but I’m chained to a larger under-the desk model with a large flat screen monitor. I guess I have to put that on my Wish List.

As I was glancing through the headlines, I spotted this one; Gates set to take over at Pentagon (AP) and wondered what Microsoft was involved in at the Pentagon? It was a brief moment and I realized my mistake quickly, but now that I have had to time to think about it, why not?

And then there was this one, Most people unprepared for disaster. Duh! If we were all prepared, there wouldn’t be any disasters. But I decided to read the article anyway and had to agree that we were really not as prepared as we should be. But will I do what it takes to become prepared? Without a sense of impending danger, it becomes difficult to be motivated. We live in a part of California that has rarely experienced severe earthquakes. Although I can see two volcanoes, the last eruption was in 1915…or was it 1918? Surrounded by orchards, forest and brush fires are no longer a concern. The Sacramento River could flood, but that would only make our trip to Chico a little more difficult; 1-½ hours versus ½ an hour. Riots in Orland are highly unlikely and I doubt that we are a strategic target for any terrorists.

On another subject; as I was moving through the different web pages while headline hopping this morning, I had to admit that I do like the new IE7. Of course, Firefox (Mozilla) had it first but they never had the audience. Tabs still take some getting used to but I have found that if I open 2 or 3 tabs right away, blank ones, then it becomes easier. It’s all about habits. Also, some web developers are writing for tabbed browsers and they will open automatically in a new tab and not a new window. Good for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment